The United Kingdom recently brought forward its Global Human Rights Sanctions Regime Act into practice, to terminate the continued impunity enjoyed by perpetrators of serious human rights abuses and violations. However, the Tamil Community has thus far been disappointed with the Act due to the exclusions of the perpetrators of the mass violations and inhuman atrocities of the Government of Sri Lanka, who continue to enjoy impunity in all its forms within the country. Sri Lanka in particular continue to dismiss and disrespect the International Rule of Law and Human Rights standards.
It is for this purpose that we desire the list of perpetrators of serious Human Rights Violations as named by the Report of the OHCHR Investigation on Sri Lanka (OISL) released by the United Nations Human Rights Council in September 2015, to be included in full within the Global Human Rights Sanctions Regime Act and to be announced by the UK Foreign, Commonwealth and Development Office. We list below the names of some suspected perpetrators mentioned in the OISL report said to have committed atrocity crimes in Sri Lanka. By way of these sanctions, the UK can prevent future recurrences of rampant impunity and abuses through Universal Jurisdiction and Country specific sanctions across other nations as exemplified by the United States of America imposing travel ban on Lieutenant General Shavendra Silva.
1. Lieutenant General Shavendra Silva
2. Major General Sathyapriya Liyanage
3. Major General Kamal Gunaratne
4. Major General Mahinda Hathurusinghe
5. Major General Nanda Mallawarchcha
6. Colonel G.V. Ravipriya
7. Brigadier Prasanna Silva
8. Major General Jagath Dias
9. Gotabaya Rajapaksa
11. Admiral Wasantha Kumar Jayadewa Karannagoda
12. Admiral Thisara S. G. Samarasinghe
13. Admiral Dissanayake Wijesinghe Arachchilage Somatilake Dissanayake
14. Major General Jagath Jayasuriya
15. Brigadier Nandana Udawatta
16. Brigadier Chagie Gallage
18. General Sarath Fonseka
Comments are closed.